Serving over 5000 customers in a week , Bata Nairobi II commonly referred to as Bata Hilton due to it’s location , is a busy shop. Bata Kenya Shoe Blog team , recently took a moment to speak to the hands-on and ever-helpful Mr. Julius Githaiga who manages this shop. Julius will often be found at the cashier’s place doing the actual selling or at the shop floor mingling with customers. ”I like to practise MBWA so that I get to interact with my staff and also customers” , he says referring to his management by walking around management style.
When did you join Bata and in what position did you join?
- I joined Bata in 1998 as a Sales Assistant, and got promoted to Store Manager in 2001. I have been a manager in this shop since 2007.
What are 3 key skills/ qualities that in your opinion , a store manager should have?
- One needs to be a good planner because you will be called upon to manage various resources efficiently to achieve results.
- One needs constantly review customer suggestions , opinions and market trends.
- It is important to practice MBWA to ensure constant interaction with staff and customers.
What do you take as a lesson learnt as a Store Manager?
- Being Store Manager means you are the one in charge of the shop as a whole business unit. You are not only in charge of sales but all that appertains the shop , like stock controls , human resource and customer service. This calls for , and horns your entrepreneurial skills.
What do you remind your staff every morning?
- To always say hello to the customer , really listen to what the customer wants and offer them options.
What is it in your career at Bata that you are most proud of?
- Seeing staff who have previously worked under my guidance become able and capable Store Managers in-charge of key stores in our Bata retail portfolio is fulfilling.